Ordering & delivery information
We maintain stock levels on this website manually. On occasion it may happen that items you are able to order online are temporarily out of stock. Most items can be ordered very quickly for you and we will contact you straight away with an estimated dispatch time. If you'd like to check stock levels before ordering please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 01953 548770.
Orders received before 1pm are usually sent via Royal Mail the same working day (if items are in stock) - larger/heavier items may be sent via courier.
Orders sent via standard 1st or 2nd Class post are not tracked and UK customers should allow up to 10 working days to arrive. If you require your order to be trackable, please select 1st or 2nd Class Signed For during the checkout process and we will provide the tracking number once your order has been dispatched.
We carry substantial amounts of most items but please note that in the unlikely event that an item is out of stock, your order will not be dispatched until all the items ordered are fulfilled - we will notify you if this is the case.
Please browse through our site and if you don't see what you're looking for, simply contact us and we'll endeavour to find what you require.
We ship to the UK and across the world.
We are not registered for VAT.
All images on our website are ©Kim Hawkins and ©PenmanDirect and must not be used without permission.
PenmanDirect was established in 1973 in Norfolk by the late Barry Floyd, a well-known calligraphy teacher and writer. Barry found that many of his students didn't have the necessary tools for calligraphy so with the help of his wife, they began selling supplies to their students. From there, PenmanDirect progressed into a small mail order business which ran from their home.
By January 1999 Barry felt he wanted to concentrate more on teaching calligraphy again so Martin Taylor (a well-respected calligraphy tutor) took over and ran the company from 1999 to 2009, at which time it was bought by Andrew and Rita Robson who ran PD successfully until their retirement in September 2015.
Now under the ownership of Kim Hawkins who is based in Norfolk, PenmanDirect continues a reputation for good service and friendly advice.
We stock a full range of calligraphy and hand lettering supplies ranging from vintage nibs (especially good for copperplate) to modern italic markers and brush pens in a full range of colours. Equally interesting is our range of special papers, gilding materials and equipment. We provide an efficient online ordering service, offering a quick response.
Returns and Refund Policy
1. This policy sets out the returns policy for goods or services purchased through the online store operated by PenmanDirect.
2. To be eligible for a return, your item must be unused and in the same condition that you received it, and it must be in the original packaging.
3. Some types of goods are exempt from being returned for a refund where they are perishable (e.g. food, flowers, newspapers, magazines) or where they are intimate or sanitary goods (like underwear), or where they are hazardous materials or flammable liquids or gases.
4. Other types of services cannot be returned for a refund, for example where the service begins as soon as you make the payment (e.g. a downloadable software product) or a gift card or gift wrapping service
5. Under the Consumer Contracts Regulations, if you change your mind about a purchase you have made within 14 working days after the date of delivery, you are entitled to a full refund of the original purchase price for the goods or services you wish to return, and the original postage and packaging charges made. You will not be entitled to a refund of the cost you incur in returning the item to us.
6. Our standard returns policy entitles you to a full refund of the purchase price and postage and packaging charges if you change your mind (i.e. the goods or services provided are not faulty or were not described properly) within 14 working days.
7. If the item you purchased was faulty or did not work properly, or you think the item was not as described in the item description, please contact us first before requesting a refund as we may be able to resolve your problem to your satisfaction.
8. Where you would like to return a physical product you have purchased, please contact us to let us know that you will be returning the item.
9. Once your return is received and inspected we'll contact you to let you know whether your refund will be processed or not, and credit your original method of payment, within three working days.
10. If you haven't received a refund where we have told you we have issued one, please check your bank account or card statement to make sure it hasn't been received and then contact your bank as some banks or card companies take a number of days to credit your account.
11. If an item you purchased was purchased with a discount voucher, then we will only refund the amount that you paid (and not the amount the item was listed for).
12. Special Offers and Clearance products are not eligible for refunds if you have changed your mind. If you are in any doubt please contact us before making the purchase.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF BUSINESS
1. This website is operated by PenmanDirect. Where these terms and conditions use terms such as "we", "us" and "our" they refer to PenmanDirect.
3. By visiting our website and/or purchasing something from us, you are deemed to have accepted these terms and conditions.
4. You can view the most current version of these terms and conditions at any time by visiting this website page. We reserve the right to update, change or replace any part of these terms and conditions, without prior notice to you, by posting updates on this page. It is your responsibility to check this page on each visit to your website, read these terms and conditions and ensure you understand them before making a purchase.
5. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason, at any time.
6. Any content that you enter onto this website may be transferred unencrypted and involve transmissions over various networks and may involve changes in order to conform and adapt to the technical requirements of connecting networks or devices.
7. You may not reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, resell or otherwise exploit for commercial gain, or otherwise, any portion of any of the content on the website or any other part of the service that we offer on this website. All images on our website are ©Kim Hawkins and ©PenmanDirect and must not be used without permission.
8. Headings and titles used on this website are done so for convenience only. They do not constitute any part of the terms and conditions and will not limit or otherwise affect the terms herein.
ONLINE STORE TERMS
9. Our website offers a range of products and or services for sale. Where we refer to an 'item' we are referring to a single product or service available for purchase on this website.
10. We will take all reasonable care to ensure that the details displayed for a particular item offered for sale are correct at the time when the information was entered onto the system.
11. Whilst care is taken to ensure that we display as accurately as possible appearances, colours, textures or finishes, what you will see on your computer monitor or equipment may differ and so we cannot guarantee that images are an accurate representation of the actual goods or services that you are purchasing.
12. We may not be able to accept your order due to one or more of the following reasons, or for a reason not listed below:
i) The item you have ordered is out of stock
ii) We cannot authorise your payment or have reasonable grounds to suspect your payment may be fraudulent
iii) There has been a pricing or product description error
iv) There is a system or procurement failure
v) You have failed our customer validation checks
13. When you place an order you will receive an email confirming the details of your order. This email is not confirmation that your order has been accepted by us.
14. Your order will only be accepted by us once your goods have been dispatched.
MODIFICATIONS TO OUR SERVICE AND PRICING
15. Prices for items are subject to change without notice.
16. We reserve the right to, at any time, modify or discontinue any part of the service that we offer, or any part of content thereof, without any notice to you.
17. We accept no liability to you or to any third-party for any modification, price change, suspension or discontinuation of the service.
18. During checkout, you may be presented with one or more options for delivery. Where an estimated timescale for delivery is provided, this is an estimate only and your items may be delayed in being received due to circumstances beyond our control (such as a courier delay, or at busy times).
19. Where you select a "next day delivery" option, orders placed on Fridays, Saturdays or Sundays may not be despatched for delivery until the following Monday and so may not be received until Tuesday.
20. If you wish to cancel an order you have placed you must contact us immediately to ascertain whether the items have been dispatched or not. Where they have been dispatched, you will need to return the item to us and you will be responsible for paying the cost of returning the items.
21. Where items have not been dispatched prior to a cancellation request, our refund policy will apply.
22. Where you have ordered a personalised, perishable or time critical item (such as food, newspapers, event tickets or e-vouchers) you may not be able to cancel for a full refund.
LIABILITY AND INDEMNITY
23. We shall not be liable for any direct, special, indirect or consequential or incidental damages including loss of profit or loss of opportunity as a result of the use of or the inability to use any items that have been ordered on this website.
24. You agree to indemnify us and our agents, officers, directors and employees, immediately and on demand, against all claims, liability, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, arising out of any breach of any of our terms and conditions.
25. These terms and conditions shall be governed in accordance with English Law and are subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England & Wales.
27. Should any part-term or term be found to be unenforceable then the remainder of the terms and conditions shall continue to have full force and effect as if the invalidated term was not present.
28. Should any delay or failure to comply with our obligations under these terms and conditions arise where it is beyond our reasonable control, we will not be responsible to you for such delay or failure nor liable for any loss that you incur, howsoever caused.